Usually when I’ve been away from my sewing machine for too long, I become desperate to work on a quilt and grab something I think will be quick and easy (often it isn’t) and start cutting. If I’m lucky I also get to start sewing. For years now I’ve wanted to use a week of vacation time just to create. Not travel, not visit, not sit on a beach. Create. And last November the stars aligned and I had my week.
Having enjoyed myself playing à la Rayna Gillman (see my Restrained Free-Form quilt here), I decided to see what I could learn from Jean Wells. Jean’s book Intuitive Color and Design didn’t suit my style very well because in the learning phase I need instruction and direction, and ICD was not prescriptive enough. But her follow-up title, Journey to Inspired Art Quilting: More Intuitive Color and Design is perfect. This book includes lots of pictures and many assignments to teach different aspects of improvisational, or intuitive, quilting.
Since I didn’t have time to work my way through each of the assignments, I jumped into the colour and contrast exercise and made a small quilt contrasting warm and cool colours. Armed with a box of solid fabrics and a few hand dyes, I first pieced the horizontal and vertical segments on the left side of the quilt (photo at right). The bottom right quadrant had to be reworked more than once because I had no more warm colours in this palette and didn’t want any one fabric to dominate. The various iterations of this piece weren’t recorded because I was trying to live in the creative moment, and that meant no stopping to document my progress.
The assignment recommended a border in the lesser-used palette, and after auditioning two fabrics I went with the colour that was already in the quilt (above right) rather than introducing something new. At 10”x7.5”, it was quick and easy to quilt up.
Untitled intuitive quilt
There you have it, my quilt in a day, still waiting for binding or facing. I like it a lot. If I had lived with the composition a little longer before bordering and quilting it, I would have substituted a thinner piece for the lowest teal/turquoise trio, and possibly for the purple, too, since I find them a bit clunky. That’s a good lesson for me: not to let my enthusiasm, or impatience, keep me from making the best art that I can.
Applying that lesson, and because I moved onto a more challenging project in the book, I spent 3 days making my second piece and it’s not even quilted. The assignment was to make a small composition from a list of four options, and I decided to incorporate a focal point in the form of a strip of multicoloured fabric bits. For the larger background pieces I chose one of the hand-dyed fat quarters I made just over a year before. Those were my starting points: little bits of colour that I kept thinking of as piano keys, and multi-coloured background fabric. But a starting point is not a finishing point. The “piano keys” were fairly lifeless, even with the navy and yellow framing strips, so I added the swirly purple and pink section and kept building.
The component above is my favourite of any that I sewed that week and I made sure to incorporate it.
Now my patience is about to pay off. That somewhat primitive pink and purple section to the left of the piano keys was clearly misguided. It took the focus away from the focal point! Why it took me so long to zero in on this flaw I don’t know, but it was back to the drawing board.
Now I’m getting closer. Obviously the piece needed something with enough personality to support, or maybe expand, the focal point. And although the batik swirls have presence, the fabric doesn’t fight with the piano keys the way the pieced section did. Or perhaps my favourite component at the bottom had more personality than the focal point itself and the batik restored balance.Here, strips of opposing fabrics have been added to make a border of sorts: pink fabric at the outer right edge while hand-dyed fabric butts against the pink batik.
Second untitled intuitive quilt. 10.5″x9″
After looking at the original design from every possible angle, I decided the best look was when it was rotated by 90 degrees and am very happy with it. In retrospect, I’m not quite sure whether I completed the assignment as intended, and I’m okay with that.