For the months of September and October I took the online Angled class taught by Rachel at Stitched in Color. And while the rest of the group has progressed through 5 quilts, I’m still slogging away on the first.
It’s a quilt called Indian Blanket and it’s been great for making me comfortable with triangles. Selecting fabrics, on the other hand, looked a lot easier than it actually was.
I started by choosing two feature fabrics from which to pull my palette. After cutting and sewing 7 pairs of fabrics into rows, the quilt wasn’t as harmonious. It seems that while the two key fabrics worked well together, not all of their relatives did. So I moved the rows around. A lot.
This may be why it’s taking me so long to finish the top. Virtually every row can be swapped for another, not to mention flipped up or down (see photo below). And while a row that doesn’t work in one grouping might look really good elsewhere, I felt as if I had run out of elsewheres and couldn’t find a layout I was happy with.
Luckily I still have a couple of rows to add and will plan those to ease the transition between some of the discordant rows. I’d like to use all of the rows I’ve already sewed, although one row smacks me in the head every time I look at the layout. The yellow and coral pairing (top and middle two pictures) looks good from a distance, but the yellow fabric has small coral flowers that are just too quaint for the rest of the quilt. I’ll have to see if I can get it to fit in in an organic way or drop it.
I hope to have all of the rows finished by the end of the week, then another week to stitch the rows together. Between my vacation and having been flattened by a cold I figure getting this top done in 2.5 months is an accomplishment. I’ll want to relish that feeling before even thinking about quilting it.