After I started building my mosaic tiles blocks (described here) at the modern guild’s sew-in in January, there was more sewing to do at home. Rather than unpack, I decided to leave my Bernina in its travel case and sew on my older machine, a Husqvarna. I played with it just a little and measured and remeasured my seams to be sure I was getting 1/4″. Sounds good, right? Who thought to compare this to the finished seam width of the squares made on the Bernina? Not me. (Cue music that foreshadows doom.)
After stitching the black strips around the batik squares and getting ready to slice them up, I discovered these squares were easily 1/4″ smaller than the batch I made at the sew in. Since I didn’t want to have to fudge the seam allowance on the resulting cuts, and there was no way I was going to unsew the black strips, I decided to repurpose the squares. The squares were intended for a mug rug and a mug rug they shall be.
With the 9-patch alone being too small, I dug into my box of previously stitched pieces and attached the purple and pink section that I rejected from my second Jean Wells intuitive art project.
Not bad, but still not long enough. A bit more batik and the front was done. Some quick quilting and voilà!
Clearly, this is not a tidy or accurate little quilt, but so far neither the coffee nor cookies have complained.